sponsorships

                 

Please consider a donation to conservationist organizations

Part of Tracy's goal with this race is to bring awareness and support for the following conservationist organizations. In support of Tracy and this cause please consider a donation to these organizations. You will find a "Moots miles" donation button on their web sites:

Rivers Unlimited
Little Miami State Park

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I got to use the hood!

Three days ago Jenny Pacey got food poisoning and man was she a trooper. After evacuating her entire body of any fluid in any direction it would come out she rode in the car with us for a day and half until she felt better. We were delayed a bit but we still had fun feeding Prairie Dogs (they have really cute butts), seeing Mount Rushmore and driving through the Badlands. Tuesday we were making the final push towards Canada and we stopped at an Arby's to eat. I did not have my usual appetite but attributed it to excitement. While we were at Arby's I had a great idea! I taped my solar charger to the hood of the car and wrapped the end around the windshield wipers. It would charge and not blow away. Five miles outside of Arby's it began to rain. Jenny, who was driving, turned on the windshield wipers, like any one of us would. There was a groan as the windshield wiper bent against the strain of the tape and then a horrid sound as the windshield wiper began to drag my solar charger back and forth across the windshield. The car erupted, "JENNY!! Chit!!" and then a big long "oooooohhhhhhhhh" as the solar charger let go and flew into the median. Then more yelling, "Jenny we got to get off!", "I can't stop NOW!!", "Somebody mark where it was somebody mark where it was!!". Believe it or not we were able to retrieve it without MUCH drama. But the drama was soon to come. About an hour later that chicken sandwich I ate at Arby's was not sitting well. It was then that I realized Jenny had not had food poisoning. I began to squirm... maybe moan a little bit. And then I announced, "PULL OVER PULL OVER!!". It was raining hard so I grabbed Glady's rain jacket and headed out behind the van. It was not long before I was doubled over. THEN... oh yeah.... then something was knocking on my back door. There I was on the flat, open plains of Montanta with no where to hide and I had to..... and so I did. And as I did, as the trucks rolled by, I pulled Glady's hood up over my head.

7 comments:

  1. It was so nice of Jenny to share her intestinal bug with you...and so nice of you to share it all with us...
    And thank you Gladys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and so it begins. I hope it's out of your system before Friday. Oh, my...!
    Love, -cindylist

    ReplyDelete
  3. God how I love your stories ! (I can't say I love hearing about some of the ordeals your go through, poor things)
    Gladys will be tickled to know she could help you out. ;-)

    Looking forward to the next story, and the next...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suddenly, the wildness sounds a whole lot better.
    This morning we watched Rocky stalk a deer in the front yard. As we watched I realized that he reminded me of you....tough, energized by fear and maybe a little crazy (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Tracy. The time has finally come to Race the Great Divide. My thoughts and heart are with you. Be true to yourself and ride your own race. It's 24 days ! (30 if you need them) Expect the extreme high's and low's that we know will happen. Count to 20 and you know you will be feeling something else. Everytime you see lightening, imagine it is all of your friends from around the globe shining a light on you. Bears, well hmm, stay calm like you did in Kruger (remember the mt lion and getting to far away from the cage)
    I love you my friend. I will be watching from the lovely NYC.
    Jen Marsh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the ride. - Bev
    "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing."
    - Sir Rannulph Fiennes
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
    - Confucius
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions."
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes
    “A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him, and leaving something of himself upon it."
    - Sir Martin Conway
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking."
    - Finis Mitchell
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    - Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading of your adventures! So glad the hoodie was helpful and grateful no one bothered to get a picture of you wearing it that moment. I'm sorry to hear you got the bug from the baby shower, but happy it was through your system before the ride. Wishing you the best and we'll be watching!
    Tim, Dana, & Nugget

    ReplyDelete