sponsorships

                 

Please consider a donation to conservationist organizations

Part of Tracy's goal with this race is to bring awareness and support for the following conservationist organizations. In support of Tracy and this cause please consider a donation to these organizations. You will find a "Moots miles" donation button on their web sites:

Rivers Unlimited
Little Miami State Park

Friday, June 15, 2012

I Am Mary

(Tracy dictated the following blog for you all).

Blame it on the flu, blame it on my arrogance, but I am Mary. Now I know why her legs got big, protein deficiency. For five days I was unable to eat properly. While other riders sat at tables eating sirloins, pancakes, hash-browns and omelets, I ate 2 eggs and a piece of toast or a plain dish of noodles. I could not tolerate protein. I was nauseated. Because I was nauseated I didn't drink well either. Four snowy passes and 400 miles later I was out of gas. And my legs were as big as Mary's. I stayed the night in a Super 8 hotel in Whitefish. I shivered half the night and was half delirious. In the morning Cindy convinced me to go to urgent care. I was going to get a cortisone shot for my knee but by the time I got there I was also an emotional and mental mess. The doctor looked at my legs and swollen face and said, "you need two to three days off, you are spent." I cried. He did an e.k.g, a chest x-ray and blood work to make sure I had not done any damage and then sent me up stairs to the physical therapist for a tape job. When I walked in John was going to take care of me when Jay jumped up and said "I'll take her, I'll take her." He told me to sit on the table, asked me what my problem was and then started moving my leg around. I yelped. He said, "you're going to need a couple days off". I cried. The thought of staying in a hotel room by myself in this state depressed me to no end. I was afraid of what it might do to me.

I asked him, "where can I stay for two days?" He suggested a few places and I cried again. Then he said "let me make a phone call." When he returned he said, "you're going home with us, my wife will be here to pick you up in 15 minutes." When his wife arrived she walked directly to me (she was petite) and wrapped her big arms around me and said, "I'm sorry, i know just what it is like to train so hard and then have an injury." And.. I.. sobbed. All this energy, all the training, all the good wishes laid there on the table in her arms.

I got in the car and she apologized for having to run some errands before taking me home. One of which was going to the grocery. I was gimping around so I got in one of those motorized carts with the basket on the front and followed her bumping into displays, backing into trash cans but being of some use at least. We brought the groceries home and they made me a big dinner of which I could eat only a bit because I was still nauseated. After dinner I laid on the couch with their dogs and cat. Then I went to bed and laid there with their dogs and cat. In the morning Jay made me a big breakfast which I choked down because I was still nauseated. Then I went back to bed... with their dogs and cat. Midday I finally got up. Jay did some more treatment on my leg, I went to the pharmacy and got some anti-nausea pills, went to the bike shop and got some work done on the bike and began to get my hutzpa back. I gotta do this. But I'm BACK ON THE ROAD AGAIN, CHAAARGE! Thanks for your well wishes, your prayers, your hopes. Like I said, we do this together.

Please send Cathy and Jay at c.shaver@bresnan.net a thank you for getting me back on the road.

(And once again the Moots was flawless and I was not.)

19 comments:

  1. Cin, thanks for typing this up. Sara's supposed to be calling me back in a few minutes. She'll be very happy to hear this, as am I. Go Tracy Go!! - Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracey, it is 2:00 in the morning and I logged on because I'm worried about you! But I have to say the thought of you in a motorized cart at the grocery is hilarious and I know you will be just fine.....
    You are an inspiration and if you only go another mile I will consider you a winner. Now kick a$$!
    Wex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww I'm sorry Tracy. Someone once me "that's life". Sound familiar? Sometimes life bites you in the butt. But sometimes you have to pick yourself up. And it is ok if you have a little help. We all faith you, don't take that for granted. You have all these people who care for you sweetheart. WE ALL LOVE YOU. NOW GET OUT THERE!!!! -Madison-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update Trace. Glad you are doing better--we were all a bit worried about you! So nice of Cathy and jay to take care of you-- and bonus-- you could get your critter "fix" too!! Catties and doggers! Be safe out there!
    Weez

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love & hugs, hugs, hugs! It was SO good to talk to you, TB. Pace yourself, be safe - you're already a hero!
    Love, -cindylist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to talk to you and hear your spirits are up! We are all with you every mile. Just pay attention to your body and take it at your own pace - just to be on that bike is a huge win!!!!! We are pulling for you every mile! Picture that! Judi

    PS that email address for Cathy and Jay doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please email the correct one. Thanks Mary King kngfm@msn.com

      Delete
  7. The address has been corrected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always an inspiration to us, Tracy!

      All the best is coming your way from Atwater, OH.

      Love & Hugs MB & Michelle

      Delete
  8. Tracy, I don't know you, just had time to read your last blog and watch your "why" interview. You ROCK!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work Tracy! We are glad to hear you are okay and rolling again. Be safe, be healthy and know we are thinking about you here in Steamboat Springs! Can't wait to meet you in person...you are a true inspiration.

    Jon C & all your friends at Moots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great folks to take you in like that. Although you lost a few days on the trail, you have gained in another way! :) - Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...and...so glad you are feeling better! - Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thankful that you had wonderful "roomies" for a couple of days. Keep on keeping on, we are all there with you....we got your back baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! the pictures are amazing. You think "snow" and then you see "SNOW!" Health and Happiness come first. Thanks to those who took care of your health and to the doggies and kitty who gave you a little happiness. Roll on! Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wa Hoo!! Tracey rides again! ALright!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hang in there Tracy. Your in good hands. Montana has some wonderful active folks and many of us have been to the breaking point. I am so glad you did not have to sit in a motel room alone. Dogs and cats are good for the soul. Take care of your self. The divide will always be here. May the wind be at your back. Cheers~ Greg Fortin Glacier Adventure Guides

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just sent my heart-felt thanks to Cathy & Jay for what they did for you Tracy. I know how much that kind of human kindness means to you. Life is good! ;-) Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I saw the title of this last entry I thought you were talking about me, I really didn't think my cankles were big enough for a blog entry. I am working on them though thanks for thinking of me. :) Seriously Trace glad you are on the move again we are sending you all the positive thoughts that we can. One mile at a time!
    Mary & Laurie

    ReplyDelete