sponsorships

                 

Please consider a donation to conservationist organizations

Part of Tracy's goal with this race is to bring awareness and support for the following conservationist organizations. In support of Tracy and this cause please consider a donation to these organizations. You will find a "Moots miles" donation button on their web sites:

Rivers Unlimited
Little Miami State Park

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Going back...

This is a catch up blog..... so I am going back to when I pulled the hood up over my head on the highway (see post: I got to use the hood). When I returned to the van I slid into a seat and began to give up control..... there was nothing I could do ... the flu was kicking in. We drove to the border town of Shelby where we thought we would get a hotel. That's where the truck stop comes in. No hotels available. None. No where. But the truck stop bathroom floor was wide open and I settled in. Cindy, unfortunately in the same predicament, took the opposite stall. I remember three distinct comments from that night. The first came from a young woman as she entered the bathroom
" Hooooly shit"... I knew what that was about but could do nothing but lay there in a ball waiting....Another woman came in asking for a ride to a funeral. I replied that I could not help as I was sick... she replied "listen I can pay I am not broke ass"  I wanted to reply that I indeed was but just laid there on the floor. I had assumed nearly every curled position  you can take inside a stall when finally my feet slowly slid out underneath the door and into the open floor space. The third comment I heard was..." Maaaaam?" Two and a half hours later Cindy and I were finally able to stumble to our van and Jenny and Jan got us across the border to Lethbridge. Lucky for the truck stop there.... a hotel room was available.


ELKFORD (second night of the race)....After a second day of cold rain many racers gathered in Elkford in a hotel. My room did not have hot water. CHIT! I was already on a down turn and did not have enough energy to inquire so I went to bed dirty. I mean dirty. It rained all night. In the morning I was able to eat a bit of breakfast and was feeling a bit optimistic about the day. We set out one by one and in small groups  and as we twisted and turned deeper and deeper into the woods I noticed a set of prints to my right. The prints were so fresh the mud stood in perfect pyramids between its pads. No claws. Looked a lot like .....cattie prints... but desert plate sized!!  Oh chit!  They went on for a mile. My nerves went on for much longer than that.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow... vivid. I'm there with you, poor thing. You are such a trooper!
    Love, -cindylist

    ReplyDelete